Steven Kincaid
Steven Kincaid, Attorney
Experience:  Experience working with evictions, subsidized housing issues and mobile home issues.

I have been living with my brother year taking care of s

Customer Question

I have been living with my brother for a year taking care of his wife who is critically sick.
Her brother is trying to throe them out, This is in Marietta, Georgia. Her mother owns the Condo and my brother and his wife pay her mother monthly rent, I have no place to live.
Do I have any legal rights????????????Thank you
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Steven Kincaid replied 7 months ago.

You do. Does the brother who is trying to throw everybody out have any legal rights to manage the property? Such as a Power of Attorney or a guardianship/conservatorship over the estate of your sister-in-law's mother?

Also, does the sister-in-law's mother live at the property? Does the sister-in-law's brother?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the brother has no legal rights, no - the mother of the sister-in-law does not live in the condo nor does the brother - I live in the property with my brother and sister-in -law.

While the mother could decide to have you removed from the property, the brother cannot do so without a Power of Attorney or other legal authority over the mother's property. If the mother wanted you to leave, she'd have to start by giving you a valid written, legal notice that gives you the opportunity to voluntarily leave in a specified amount of time. If you did not leave, she would then have to file an eviction case. Because of how long you have lived there, you have rights like any other tenant.

Does that answer your question?