Steven Kincaid
Steven Kincaid, Attorney
Experience:  Experience working with evictions, subsidized housing issues and mobile home issues.
44472555

I live on section 8 2 years now same house, same landlord.no

Customer Question

I live on section 8 for almost 2 years now same house, same landlord.no issues,no violations nothing. went to housing authority on febuary 29 2016 to sign papers as my income changed and am now on disability.notified housing authority that after several attempts for past 5 or 6 months notifying landlord that bathroom floor was falling in and bathtub now has a big crack in it and had to shut toilet off because of flooding everywhere that nothing was being done about it. housing authority came with their maintenance and said it was unsafe and that floors were falling in. housing authority notied landlord and that same day I was told by landlords grandson that he was now my landlord and I had to move out immediately. have had to call police on 2 different occasions due to harassment by grandson.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Steven Kincaid replied 11 months ago.

First of all, you may want to verify that the grandson now owns the property by checking with property records. If he does not, he may still be the property manager, but it is important to know who you are talking to.

Second, no landlord can just tell you to "move out immediately." They can refuse to renew a lease, but they cannot kick you out without going through an eviction procedure. When does your lease expire? Did the new lease ever get signed?

Also, you need to look at your existing lease (and maybe post it here if you want me to review it) to see what the terms are after the end of your lease. The lease might say what happens if the lease is not renewed.

Retaliation (as appears to be the case here) is not a valid reason to evict someone, especially while they have an active lease. It is harder, however, to stop someone from refusing to renew a lease in retaliation. That is not clearly illegal. Is this just one house, or is it an apartment complex?