CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.

Can a California (San Francisco) landlord specify the type

Customer Question

Can a California (San Francisco) landlord specify the type of car you can park in the space that comes with your apartment? The space is a driveway in front of our 4 unit building. The neighborhood is nice, but my car is a bit of a beater -- a 20 year old Saturn, to be exact -- and my jerk of a landlord says it's lowering his property value! Can he legally do that? The agreement I signed said nothing about what could be parked there. True, I didn't drive my car there when I went to first see the place... but come on! What is he? A parking Nazi???
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.

The landlord could attempt to make an argument that a "budget" car parked in an upscale neighborhood causes "waste" to the property (which would be a lease violation), but this is a very hard argument to make.

Landlords are at a particular disadvantage to force these issues in SF given rent control and the abundance of tenant advocacy resources (it is relatively easy to get a low cost, or free, tenant's attorney in the Bay Area).