Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US

I have been paying what was billed by my Property management

Customer Question

I have been paying what was billed by my Property management company for the past 2 years. I've given notice in my office and now they are billing me for over 12,000 past rent, they say based on my lease from a previous property management company. Do you believe I have any recourse?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

What state are you in? Did the lease with the old property manager terminate or did it continue in effect? Did you make any inquiry when the rental payment changed?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm in Oregon. No there was no change or update to the lease when the new property management took over. No I did not inquire about the different amount being charged.

I will do some research and get back to you.

Unfortunately you will be liable for the under billed rent. You are contractually obligated to pay the rent set forth in the lease. The under billing is an error not a waiver of the correct rental payment under the lease. Since they made the demand for the under billing amount before the expiration of the statute of limitations for a breach of contract in Oregon they are entitled to collect the amount due under the lease. Because of their billing error you would not be liable for any late fees.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.