Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

My lease expired on 10/31/15, and I went without a lease

Customer Question

Hi, my lease expired on 10/31/15 , and I went without a lease for 3 months, paying the amount stipulated on this lease (without any complaints from LL at this point). A new lease was drafted on 1/31/16, with an increased rent. My landlord now wants me to pay the difference for the 3 months in-between. Can they do that?
JA: The Landlord-Tenant Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, not yet.
JA: Is there anything else the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No, thanks.
JA: Our top Landlord-Tenant Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please clarify:

1) What state is this in,

2) Has the new lease been signed by you, and

3) Does the new lease include the difference, or is the difference an extra amount they are verbally asking for?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.