CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I signed a lease fir aqn apartment in last Tuesday 3/8/16. I

Customer Question

I signed a lease fir aqn apartment in Virginia last Tuesday 3/8/16. I do not like the leased apartment and would like to get out of the lease.how many days do I have ti terminate this lease.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 8 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.

Unfortunately there is no "cooling off period" for this kind of contract (in fact there are very few contracts which do permit a 3 day cooling off period, telephone sales, door to door sales, and sales for certain kinds of personal services, see: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0176-buyers-remorse-when-ftcs-cooling-rule-may-help).

If you want to terminate your lease early, and the landlord does not want to let you out of the lease, you can do so, but you are going to continue to be liable for the rent on the unit until (1) the end of the lease term; or (2) the landlord finds a new tenant (whichever occurs first). The landlord must make reasonable efforts to locate a new tenant, including running advertisements, and cannot turn down reasonably qualified tenants, but you are responsible for the cost of advertising the unit during this period.

See: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tenants-right-break-rental-lease-virginia.html