Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Elk grove village has a new inspection law this year. my

Customer Question

elk grove village has a new inspection law this year. my landlord called me the afternoon before they came in and said that they needed to see my unit for inspection of code and smoke detectors and such. They came the next day while I was at work and went through the entire apartment and made a video of some parts of it. My landlord called and told me that it wasn't sanitary and that I had a week to clean it up before he and his wife came to inspect.
I feel that my rights were violated as I wasn't told that it was a search of my entire place and that the inspector went beyond their jurisdiction to make a video and search the place without my consent and without adequate notice. My landlord had advance knowledge of the inspection without telling me and the purpose and extent of the inspection was not made clear.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a written lease? If yes, does it address landlord access for inspection or repair?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they can come for repairs , inspection or maintenance with notice of 24 hours or less if agreed upon
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If they did not comply with the terms of the lease then you can sue them in small claims court for breach of contract.

As far as the unsanitary conditions, that could be grounds for eviction, but they would need to prove that the way the apartment is kept is an actual healt hazard to other residents or is causing actual damage tot he property.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Are you still online with me?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just felt that i wasnt aware of the extent of the search. If i was an owner they couldn't come in and search my place without a warant
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

As I said, if they breached the lease in the manner of their entry, then you can sue for breach.

A landlord is not the police. So, a search warrant is not really applicable, but they do have to abide by the terms of the lease.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just felt that i should have been told the extent of the inspection. Can i complain at the city office if i feel that they went beyond their scope?
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

You can complain to the city, but I do not know that they will be able to do anything. It is really a civil matter that you would need to pusue in the court.