CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I have a question about breaking my lease with land lord

Customer Question

hi there i have a question about breaking my lease with land lord
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.

In general, a tenant can terminate a lease early, but they are still liable for the rent for the remainder of the term, or until the landlord finds a new tenant (the landlord must make "good faith efforts" to find a new tenant), whichever occurs first..

Most courts will limit a landlord to 2-3 months rent, but this is based on local rental conditions, and is more of a "rule of thumb" and is not to be confused with a statutory cap.