barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

We jut rented a house. We found mold and did test. The

Customer Question

We jut rented a house. We found mold and did test. The result got back positive. But landlord has not given us the report and recommendations from the mold company. We just know that he wants to go with the interim solution. What are my rights? Can I insist to get the report. Can I pressure my landlord to do go with the best recommendation?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

In a situation like this, the landlord has a legal duty to provide a habitable dwelling that meets all local code and housing ordinances. If there is a severe mold problem, then this would breach the landlord's duty to you and give you legal grounds to either terminate the lease or sue him for breach to force him to remediate the mold to make the property habitable.

.

You could also threaten to contact the local Code Enforcement office and have them come out to inspect if he didn't completely remediate the mold.

.

But as for the report, if he paid for it, it is his personal property and he wouldn't have to give you a copy if he didn't want to.

.

But if you sued him, you could subpoena the report as evidence in the case against him for damages if you have suffered health problems or have incurred expenses for moving elsewhere if he hasn't taken quick action to cure the problem.

.

.

thanks