Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

10/26/15 woke to fire in wall between kitchen/garage.

Customer Question

10/26/15 woke to fire in wall between kitchen/garage. Firemen called code enforcement who called landlord.electric/gas turned off.advised to get essentials and evacuate asap.next morning call from landlord "am I getting my things out?"my response "packing up".went to find storage,on return to resident landlord had come & put notice on door since I was on mth to mth for past 12 yrs, informed me I owed November rent and 30 days to be out.becuz I'm suppose to give 30day notice.I called him to remind him there was no electric/hot water so I wouldn't b paying November rent. On 11/2/15 lock on door was changed.then certified letter on 11/3/15 24 hr eviction notice since I was in violation of my lease/health safety/fire hazard.i have been disable since Sept 2014. Two back surgery's.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Often, when people only present a set of facts, the issues that jump out at us aren't necessarily the things you're wondering about. Too often, without a list of questions, we'll wind up telling you things you already knew. With that in mind, what are your specific questions about this fact pattern? Also, what state are you in?