barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

The same mirrored closet door became faulty(door got stuck,

Customer Question

The same mirrored closet door became faulty(door got stuck, immovable) several times during my 3yr tenancy and had to be fixed by management company.
They are sliding & folding doors.
One of these times the door that was stuck was carefully and gently jimmied open to access the closet by me(had a meeting, needed to access closet).. a bottom corner of mirrored door broke off (apparently, this was a part of the faulty/stuck door) but management company still had to come out and fix the door as the broken piece of mirror door wasn't the only thing wrong with the door, door still needed to be worked on for it to open and close properly. T
(2 maintenance men for 1 hour) to WD40 and other fixes to get it to work.
Nothing else broke /damaged during my 3 yr tenancy, I took good care of the house, like my own. This breakage came from a faulty door that wasn't working properly. Am I liable for this broken mirror door?
Or, should owners' insurance cover this?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the door was damaged during normal use and not through negligence on your part, then this is the landlord's duty to repair or replace. The fact that they were aware it was defective and took no efforts to repair it until after it was damages just adds strength to your position that you shouldn't be liable for the landlord not making sure the door functioned properly..

.

A tenant has a reasonable expectation that things will work normally in a dwelling when they rent it and it is the landlord's duty to make sure that they do.

.

Further there is a concept called depreciable life in rentals that puts a lifespan on items in the dwelling, typically 5 years, after which they are essentially valueless. So if the doors were over 5 years old when you vacated, you have yet another argument that they had exhausted their depreciable lifespan and even if you were negligent in damaging them, you can't be held liable for their replacement cost.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks