Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Specific question landlord law... In regards to lead paint

Customer Question

Specific question for Iowa landlord law... In regards ***** ***** paint removal in a rented rental house, does the tenant still have to pay the landlord the monthly rent while the removal process is going on, or is the rent suspended until such time the lead paint hazard is resolved? In Illinois I know at least several years ago the tenants could legally withhold the rent until the lead paint was removed. Thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the landlord is paying for the tenant to stay elsewhere, then the tenant still has to pay rent, because the landlord is still giving them a place to live. If tenants are staying with friends/family or paying for their own alternate lodging, they would get a pro-rated rent rebate for each day they weren't able to stay in the house. And if they're actually living in the house while the lead is being removed, they're entitled to a partial refund on daily rent based on how much of the property is unfit for human habitation. Like, if it's just one room, they'd get a percentage based on that room's percentage of the total house's square footage.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.