Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I am considering leasing a home. There is a guest house in

Customer Question

I am considering leasing a home. There is a guest house in backyard where there is also a pool. If I lease this home only I will have access to the pool.
My question is as follows: The home owner told me that every month I will pay rent and in return he will reimburse me $150 from utility bill of Gas and Electric as the meter is not split. Technically I will be paying the Renter of Guest Pool House utilities correct?
The owner never mentioned the Water bill and I am wondering if I will also be paying the water bill for the Guest House renter too. The owner did not mention this.
Please advise. Is this legal or taking advantage?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I am hesitant about renting this home due to the above mentioned.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Anything you agree to pay is, generally, legal. So, it can be both legal and taking advantage. In other words, just because an arrangement is not fair, it is not, in and of itself, illegal.

Do not be afraid to negotiate a more equitable arrangement for the utilities, as the pool is going to use up the lion's share of the resources.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My concern is also the Water bill. If the Renters of the Pool House are using water where is their meter running considering the fact that they do not have their own for Gas and Electric. I am speculating that I would also be paying for their Water bill and the Owner did not disclose that.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I inquire of the water bill too?
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Yes, you need to negotiate the responsibility to pay for all the utilities carefully, including water. You should not be sharing water and heat expenses equally for a swimming pool not included in your lease.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The swimming pool would only be apart of my lease and not the renters of the pool house.When I viewed the home I seen that the pool house is in the backyard of main house and did not like that idea. I inquired due to privacy. Was told that then renters of the pool house would not have access to the pool.With a pool I still have to pay a water bill for the pool water? I thought that as there is already water in the pool no problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The owner just responded to my question and said that there is no water bill. Included with rent.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

You can negotiate with the landlord any deal you can bot work out for utility payments. If you do not want the reponsibility and expense of a swimming pool then this may not be the house for you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?