Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My landlord wants me to pay a co-pay ordered by the county

Customer Question

My landlord wants me to pay a co-pay for repairs ordered by the county and has gotten an eviction notice on me. I have consistently asked that i be given an itemized description of what he says I owe him and have no response. I do not want the Sheriff to come throw my stuff in the street. How do I resolve this problem? Time is of essence.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

What is the landlord's basis for holding you liable for all or a portion of the repairs? Is it in your lease? Did you cause the damage necessitating the repair?

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is in the lease that I pay a co-pay for repairs but the house is an old house and he is very reluctant to repair stuff. None of the damages were caused by me. I had to bring the county in for him to come do repairs.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

The lease states you must pay for repairs for which you have no fault? There is no regard to fault or liability?