Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

My significant other passed and I now currently have an

Customer Question

my significant other passed and I now currently have an agreement to move on 6/30/16. Can I cancel agreement and still fight for apt?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Were you on the lease of the apartment with him?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Traditional male female relationship, no I was not on lease
Thank you for your reply.
If you were not on the lease, then legally you have no rights to claim over the property, so you really do not have a legal basis to fight for the apartment I am afraid. Legally, if you were not on the lease under NY law, the landlord would not have to allow you to remain or inherit any rights to the apartment I am sorry to say. Also, once you signed the agreement, even if you may have had some rights, the courts hold that once someone makes an agreement and signs a written agreement, they are bound to that agreement and they cannot just repudiate the agreement because of second thoughts .