insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
17027240

I owe a person 800$ there was no signed contract. I am

Customer Question

I owe a person 800$ there was no signed contract. I am willing to pay her 400.$ for paying a electric power deposit no problem with that. However, I told her I didn't won't her money but she insisted do I owe her the rest she is harassing me and can she garnish my paycheck
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you provide me a bit more information? In what state are you located? Is there any evidence that she advanced money in some way? And, if so, is there any evidence that this was a loan rather than a gift? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I have 2 children that was present. I agreed to pay her 400$back. But the rest I told her no she done it anyway. My daughter is20yrs. Old my son is 14. They was hear when she offers the money. No signed contract
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Kentucky. Letcher county
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're dateing was dateing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a landlord
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there

Yes, I'm typing your response. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks so much for your quick reply. She's going to have a hard time with this. One, before she can do anything, she would have to file suit against you and be awarded a judgment. Two, if she were to file such a suit, she would have the burden of proving that this was a loan intended to be repaid and not a gift. In personal relationships, courts are not amused that when a relationship ends, one of the parties tries to recharacterize what was intended as a gift as a loan. It becomes a he said/she said situation and since she has the burden of proof by bring the suit, she's not likely to win the suit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!