Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Ely, My name is ***** *****. living in orange county I have

Customer Question

Hi Ely, My name is ***** *****. living in orange county I have my Tutoring Center in Westminster and closed the business since 2013 due to One of the Restaurant got burn and smoke went through out the ceiling into my business, most of students in my business quit because of the smoke. Now Landlord come back is about to sue me for the terminate contract Should I file a lawsuit for my loss of business?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My unit is just few unit away from restaurant and the restaurant got in fire ( this restaurant reconstruction for few months because of the burn). The main issue is the smoke went through from the ceiling into my Tutoring Center this was caused the bad smell and student leave. Since number of students left, I have no income to continue for the business. I just closed the business before the contract ended. Now Landlord keep texting to ask for 9 thousand dollars for the gap before new lease. If I don't pay, they will file a lawsuit
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
1) What was the cause of the fire?
2) Did you quit your lease because the loss of income due to the students leaving?
3) Did the landlord even attempt to fix the roof? How long did it take them
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!