Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

My name is ***** ***** Yes I am a landlord evicting a tenant

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes I am a landlord evicting a tenant for non payment of rent
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The tenant's lawyer filed a motion to dismiss and award her Attorney's fee. how do I file to have a hearing on the issue
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

What are the grounds for filing the motion? And what state are you in?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I live in Florida and the tenant was aware that we are selling to home and provided her a 30 day notice to vacate she ignored and stay past the first day of Feb and didn't pay the full months rent

Thank you.

Did the tenant have a month to month lease? Or did you serve a 3 day notice to pay or quit when she didn't pay the rent?

The reason I'm asking is that the lease doesn't automatically terminate when a house is sold unless it's month to month. If you didn't serve an additional notice when the rent wasn't paid on 2/1, it would be very difficult to defend a Motion to Dismiss, and that could change your options. Under Florida law, if the tenant wins the motion to dismiss, they are entitled to their attorney's fees. Fl. Stat., Section 83.48.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The home is not sold she's on a month to month which in Florida we are require to give 15 days notice to vacate. She never responded and stay past 2/1 and moved out on 2/8 when we served her the 5 days notice

Ok. In that case, you can just file a response that explains why they don't have valid grounds for dismissing the case.

The most common way to prepare a response to a motion is to put your own version of the facts at the top, then address each of their arguments in turn. That way, the judge can easily go back and forth between the two documents. Then you ask that the motion be denied. The request for a hearing usually goes at the end, above your signature and the date.

Call the clerk of the court to see if they'll give you a hearing date before the motion is filed. Some courts do that, but it can vary by location.