Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

Im a landlord in nj i have an illegal attic apartment which

Customer Question

hi, im a landlord in nj i have an illegal attic apartment which i rented out 8 months ago to a friend its been two month that she hasn't paid rent and know has her boyfriend living with her. i ask her to leave but they havent what should i do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a lease? If so, how long is the lease?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no lease

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If you have no lease, in New Jersey, landlords must have a just cause to terminate a tenancy, and must provide at least one month’s notice and specify the date on which the tenancy will end. You may legally provide less notice if the tenant has not paid rent, if the tenant has violated other terms of your rental agreement. Notice is 30 day notice for violation of landlord’s rules, violation of lease, or refusing to accept changes to lease terms.14 day notice for failure to pay rent or habitual late payments. These would be eviction notices. If they refuse to move out, you would file a complaint with the Office of the Special Civil Part Clerk in your county and pay the filing fee for the eviction and have to get a court order to make them move out. Hopefully this will do the trick as it might be problematic with the illegal apartment.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?