Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I jjust started renting out at the apartment I'm living at

Customer Question

Hi, I jjust started renting out at the apartment I'm living at within less than a month and today I experienced the overflowing and plumbing issue from the toilet and clogged toilet. Everytime I heard the water running from the unit upstair of me the water would pour more out from the my toilet. I called and texted my property managers immediately. Had to leave voicemails. They finally got back to me and sent out their plumber. He came and "fixed it" and left. The property managers soon texted me after, that the plumbing was do to our fault for flushing down flushable wipes and that the owner are not responsible for the plumbing bill. What can I do about this situation?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The other tenants mentioned that the previous tenants living in our unit left because of the plumbing issues and that a root of some tree broke through the bathroom and because the property management didn't do anything about it in time, they left. It seems to be an ongoing problem that property management aren't taking care of and just want to put the blame on their tenants. I had to use my personal belongings such as blankets,towels, and even the left over cardboard boxes from moving in to soak up the feces water coming out of the tub and toilet! The whole place is so unsanitary now and a health hazard if you ask me.
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

I am sorry to hear about your problems. Did the plumber say what was the cause of the problem? I assume you are not flushing wipes or anything else in the toilet?

I asked some questions to which I needed a response in order to answer your question. If you are no longer interested in an answer let me know and I will close the question. If you are interested, please answer the questions I asked.