CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

What should I do when landlord does not refund me the full

Customer Question

Hi there,
what should I do when landlord does not refund me the full amount of the refundable deposit accusing me of some damages that's been there before I moved in, unfortunately I didn't take pictures of it or put it down on the move in inspection. but I made sure everything is clean and landscaped but I did take pictures when moving out. PS they've been harsh on me since I have my friends pet over and they fined me then I didn't renew the lease with them so I was applying for another house to rent and I kept getting declined every time they send the renter history, so one of the new property management were nice enough to share that form with me, they ended up giving false information about me, I guess because they wanted me to be homeless. Please help me with that I was supposed to get 700 back but they just sent me 275, they took 575 for cleaning and landscaping that I already did and repairing a hole that's been there before I moved in. I need help with that especially that they talk to me like we don't care you're still going to pay.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

Your remedy is to sue the landlord in small claims court for (1) breach of contract (improper withholding of your security deposit), and (2) defamation / libel (for giving false written statements in the rental history report).

You can use small claims court to do this and you do not need a lawyer.

For help with this, use the court's website: http://justicecourts.maricopa.gov/CaseTypes/smallclaims.aspx (This is for Maricopa County, the same information and forms will work state wide, and you can find specific information for each county on the county court's website).