rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant
8534270

Needing to know how much notice a land lord gives to tenant

Customer Question

Needing to know how much notice a land lord gives to tenant for major renovations? In Idaho.
JA: The Landlord-Tenant Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. Just been told by my upstairs neighbor that the land lord is going to renovate this Wednesday through Friday. And we will need to find a place to stay. Plus I have to move everything out that will take a few days to move everything
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer can help you best. OK. The Landlord-Tenant Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer should know?
Customer: They are in the process of selling building. And there is a mold problem in the apartments. So it sounds like they will be tearing down and replacing walls and carpet. This is the most that I know.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you today.

Your landlord is required to notify you in writing and to resolve all the issues.In my mind a minimum here of 14 days in not 30 is required.It is not realistic for you to be able to pick up your stuff, locate an other temporary living arrangement here and whatever else is needed.Your landlord here needs to provide you with a hotel or other comparable living arrangements if this is to take multiple days and the rent of course should be abated as well.In my mind you should get some food allowance unless the living space has a frig and cooking arrangements.

To do otherwise isn't fair notice of what they are going to do, when it should begin, and how they are going to provide living arrangements and reimburse.All of this is on the table and you should contact landlord and express displeasure here at hearing it from teh neighbors rather than landlord first hand. You have rights here under your lease and as a tenant in general here that they have not protected in all of this.

You can negotiate a better deal than this with more notice and compensation for all your hassles here.I appreciate the chance to help you today.