Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

Ive been renting an apartment in Monterey, Ca .5 years. They

Customer Question

Ive been renting an apartment in Monterey , Ca for 3.5 years. They have raised my rent Now...$300 since ive moved in. They raise it at $100 at a time. When I moved in it was $1,175.00 and now it will be $1475.00. it seams like a big jump ever year
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a written lease? Are these increases occuring when the lease terms expire? Are you in a rent controlled unit?

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Sir,
When I first moved in I had a 6 month lease ( minimum stay time ) and it lasted about 2 plus years with 1 - $100 dollar rent increase. Starting 2 years a go they started issuing MUST sign lease options. ( options are full yr, 6 month or month to month ) each option is a more than the 1 yr option. My concern is it looks like they are on a trend to raise my rent $100 every year.....were does it end???
Plus they are now making it mandatory for renters to purchase renters insurance
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no ty ...lets text
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately, unless you are in a rent cotrolled unit or city, which you are not, the landlord and you are free to negotiate any terms you can agree to. The landlord is legally permitted to increase the rent to whatever the market will bear. Likewise, you are free to move when the lease expires and find another apartment.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello???
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Are you still online with me?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't want to call, I just need an answer,,,here please
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

I have answered. Can you see my answer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry,,,, thank you for your help..
what about forcing us to carry renters insurance...?
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

It is not illegal to insist you carry insurance. Sorry. Do not be afraid to negotiate, though.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ty....will do
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Much appreciated. Good luck to you.