MDLawyer
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
16277701

I am renting a 3 bedroom apartment in Aventura, FL It is a 1

Customer Question

Hello,I am renting a 3 bedroom apartment in Aventura, FL
It is a 1 year lease that will expire on 4/15
A week ago we notified our landlord through his agent that the dishwasher is not working.
The landlord is working with an appliance company that keeps bringing used dishwasher that do not work properly.
Now, they said they are witting to get a stainless steel dishwasher and in the meantime I have to wash my many many dishes by hand.... my rent payment is due today.... what to do?
The owner is a cheap guy. I suggested to him that my husband will bring a dishwasher and a friend will install it for a total of $150 he called to negotiate it down to $100....
what can we do here?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. Does the lease state that a dishwasher is guaranteed and part of the rental?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 9 months ago.

I'm assuming you are asking how long they have to repair? If it is in the lease that a dishwasher is part of the rental,, they do have to replace or repair the dishwasher but the law allows them a reasonable time to repair. A reasonable time for an appliance repair is usually more than a week since a dishwasher is not considered a necessity for living under the laws of Florida.

Please let me know if that answers your question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** long should I wait? a week, two three in the meantime im without a dishwasher and paying rent over $3000
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 9 months ago.

The law does not specify a specific set period of time. The key is to get everything in writing. Be sure to put something in writing and quote the part of the lease that guarantees a dishwasher and get them to commit in writing as to when they will replace the dishwasher.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Let me know if you have any additional questions. If, however, I have answered your question, please be so kind as to leave me a positive rating as that is the only way that we experts receive credit for having assisted you today.