Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I recently moved out of a apartment in Mississippi. I went

Customer Question

I recently moved out of a apartment in Mississippi. I went by to finish cleaning one day and there was a letter on my door saying I owed a remaining balance of 279.29$. I went and made a check for that amount and turned it in and now I am getting calls from the management saying I owe them more money. Should I be obligated to pay more since I payed the amount the letter said was my remaining balance or should I not pay and fight it?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you were told your remaining balance and you paid in full, you need to send them a letter stating you made payment in full for everything you were told was due and as such you deny owing them any additional money. If they present proof of damages to you that are not ordinary wear and tear then you could be liable for those damages if the security deposit does not cover them, but the landlord bears the burden of proving how much damage was done and has to prove the cost of the damage and that is was not ordinary wear and tear. They cannot charge you for routine cleaning unless your lease said they can do so and cannot charge you for wear and tear repairs.
So you need to demand an itemized breakdown of what they are charging you for and why to determine if their charges are legitimate or not. If they are legitimate, they can sue you to collect, so you would want to pay any legitimate charges, but if they are not legitimate tell them you do not owe them and let them try to sue you over them (if they are not legitimate then you should win any suit).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The management called me this morning and said she made an error in the letter of my remaining balance and I clearly owe more than she put in the amount on the letter. There is no damage to the apartment at all. Should I just agree to pay the difference she says I owe?
Thank you for your reply.
If they can prove their accounting mistake to you, then yes, you would be liable to pay it if it was a legitimate error. You are entitled to the proof of the accounting error to check it against your payment records.