Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

Daughter is being sued in small claims court and rent due.

Customer Question

Daughter is being sued in small claims court for eviction and rent due. My name is ***** ***** lease as a co-signee. Landlord received my signature through email. It was not notorized or ID in any way. It is not my signature and I knew nothing about it until I heard from the landlord. The apartment is in Wisconsin and I live in Missouri. Can I still be sued in Wisconsin?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Did you report this forgery / fraud to your local police?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My daughter is suffering from late stage cancer and I do not want her to go to jail.

Thank you for your follow up.

I am very sorry to hear about your daughter's medical condition.

Unfortunately,generally, unless the co-signer reports any forgery / fraud and is able to prove that the lease was fraudulently signed by someone else, then the co-signed can be sued for any obligations under the lease in the state court where the rental is located.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.