Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

My 90 year old mom has a care provider living in her home.

Customer Question

My 90 year old mom has a care provider living in her home. The provider gets room and board and is paid $450/week as salary. She is in the Section 8 program and wants my mom to become a section 8 landlord so she can rent from us. Is this legal? Does she have to declare this rent as extra income?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your mom would have to declare the rent as income. Furthermore, it may be the provider is not declaring the room and board as well as salary, which is considered earnings, to qualify for Section 8. So I would suggest staying away from this. Also, if your mom becomes a Section 8 landlord, her home has to be inspected and brought up to the Section 8 standards which can also be a burden.