Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

My daughter moved into a low rent apartment in Red Lion PA.

Customer Question

My daughter moved into a low rent apartment in Red Lion PA . there is a large lamp on a tall pole that is supposed to light up the yard and parking lot. I called him the landlord about this 3 mos ago and he told me that he pays Met-Ed for the light nothing has been done. And I forgot to mention my daughter is fully disabled should she trip or fall he will have a law suit against him. Now enough for the outside now the inside baseboard heat which is expensive because she was in dire need of a low rent apartment right away will not come on until you put the temp on 90o hats crap and there are only a few electrical pulgs in the house and one behind the sofa in LR has been taped over and she was told not to use that ne and when she ased when he was going to fix this he never got back to her right away but when he did he told her if she doesn't like it move somewhere else.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Does your daughter have a written lease? Has your daughter made a written demand for the necessary repairs?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she has a written lease but has called this man on several occasions and he promised her he would take care of these issues
And he tells her is she doesn't like things the way they are then move.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she moved there because the rent was cheap and that's all she can afford
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If there is a written lease then the landlord is responsible for the maintenance and repair obligations contained in the lease agreement.

He can not force her to move to avoid the lease obligations.

Your daughter should make a written demand for the required repairs. If he still refuses then she should sue for breach of the lease.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

She can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be user friendly so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you for all your information and I will be chard $5.00 for good faith correct that what it said.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.