Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I live in Florida and sent a letter to my landlord

Customer Question

Hi ,
I live in Florida and sent a letter to my landlord explaining that we expect to get our $1800 security deposit back less cost to replace a broken refrigerator drawer and a small mini blind totally $160. We cleaned the entire place thoroughly and left no other damage except for what i mentioned above and took lots of photos to document. We sent the letter several days after we moved out and then he responded within 30 days with a two page list of bogus and fabricated damages claiming that, not only will he not return our money ($1,640) but that we owe him another 1,000 dollars. My question is...Am I obligated to respond to his letter even though I have already sent him a letter regarding the security deposit? And second... if I do need to respond to his demand letter, does he have a certain amount of time to respond before I file in small claims court to get my money back?
Thanks much,
Trish
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You do not need to respond to the letter further. You may proceed to sue in small claims court right away.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly let me know if that is fast and clear.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate the answer positively.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

thank you.