Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I rent a MHP lot in Corners, N.Y. The owner informed me that

Customer Question

I rent a MHP lot in Porter Corners, N.Y. The owner informed me that I had been over paying my lot rent and reduced the lot rent over a period of three months to bring it back to normal. Since then however, the ownership has changed hands and the new owner wants full lot rent even after I have provided paperwork to the contrary. Can I be made to pay lot rent twice?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The new owner cannot make you pay rent that has already been paid. If you have documentation showing that you made these payments to the prior owner when they were due (and before the current owner took ownership), then you do not have to pay anymore. He cannot evict you, charge you late fees, or otherwise take negative action against you, because your debt is paid. If the prior owner did not give him the excess rent that was collected over those 3 months, then the new owner needs to talk to him about that money. But it's not your responsibility - you paid, and you paid the right person the right amount.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.