Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs residential & commercial leasing experience.
20355756

I live in a hotel in Kissimmee Florida I have lived there

Customer Question

I live in a hotel in Kissimmee Florida I have lived there for over ten and I have residency with mail being delivered the owner told me yesterday he wants me to pay more what recourse do I have
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legalease replied 10 months ago.

Hello there --

-

Unless your property is rent controlled -- which is unlikely because FL does not have any rent controlled communities and it is a hotel property -- then the hotel owner is free to set market prices for rooms as he sees fit. However, even as a resident and if you are seeking relief under the landlord and tenant statutes, the landlord still has the right to raise your rent by a reasonable amount every year so long as he gives you 30 days notice of the raise in the rental amount. What a "reasonable" amount for a rent increase in your area depends upon what the market rates are for rooms to rent or board in your area and is usually determined by a court in the event that there is an eviction proceeding started over the matter (if the LL decided to evict you, he would have to take the matter to court and then your defense would be that his rent increase was not a reasonable amount for the room that you are getting in the area that you are getting it in and then the judge would tell you both what he or she believes a reasonable amount of rental increase in your situation will be).

-

I truly, truly wish I could give you a quick and easy legal way to make this go away and so you will not have to pay a rental increase, but in such situations, as long as the increase is within reasonable limits, whether you are renting a hotel room or are considered a long term resident, the landlord/owner does have the right to increase the rent that you pay.

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions on this issue. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star in the ratings box above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just ANswer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU !!

-

MARY