Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I live in Pa and have a tenant that signed a 2 year

Customer Question

I live in Pa and have a tenant that signed a 2 year commercial lease, and is now leaving 6 months early. Provided me with a 10 day notice. I am I obligated to give back their security deposit? I did find another tenant does that matter.? Additionally they did not pay this months rent. I am I able to sue them for rents for the next 6 months - and how does the security deposit work. I would rather just forget it all keep there security deposit and move on since I got it rented. But prepared to go to court for full rent as they are being very arrogant - please advise
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

The tenant is liable to you for rent until the end of the lease term, unless you release them prior to the expiration. Assuming the physical damages to the property are not at issue, the security deposit may be used for unpaid rent.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

If you have a new tenant then the current tenant is entitled to a credit for the rent you receive from the new tenant.

You may also have a claim to assert for damages for amortized brokerage commissions, removal of tenant improvements, etc.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

You can also offer to release them from further obligation if they release the entire security deposit to you. Just make sure to get any settlement in writing.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

If you still need help, feel free to reply and I'll respond as soon as possible.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.