Michael Lykken, Esq
Michael Lykken, Esq,
Experience:  Partner at Soares & Lykken, Attorneys at Law
77500129

The 2 family house i live in has 1 gas meter. The heat and

Customer Question

The 2 family house i live in has 1 gas meter. The heat and hot water are in my name. That i didn't mind since my nephew owned the house and the people upstairs are friends of mine and give me $100 a month towards the heat and hot water bill. That said my nephew sold the house to a person i don't really care for. My question is isn't the landlord supposed to put the heat and hot water bill in his name since there is only 1 furnace for the entire house
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not have an Email. Contact me by text(###) ###-####
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Hello, and, thank you for using this service. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. It isn't clear where you are located, so I can only provide you with general guidance based on California law. Generally, each rental needs to have a separate meter. If there is not a separate gas meter, the landlord needs to have a written agreement on how the charges will be dealt with. The specific California section is located here. There isn't a specific rule that it has to be in the name of the landlord, though. However, that is an option available to a landlord to remedy this. I hope this helps, and let me know if you need more clarification.