Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My name is ***** ***** and I'm just browsing of my small

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I'm just browsing for verification of my small claims case I have against a former roommate. The former roommate was a lessee on the rental agreement. Her defense (which I caught wind of verbally) is that there was still an occupant in the apt when she left alleviating her of responsibility. I'm trying to find out if there is any justification for that defense.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm just browsing for verification of my small claims case I have against a former roommate. The former roommate was a lessee on the rental agreement. Her defense (which I caught wind of verbally) is that there was still an occupant in the apt when she left alleviating her of responsibility. I'm trying to find out if there is any justification for that defense.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Landlord-Tenant Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

I do need a little clarification first, please. When you say alleviating her of responsibility, I am presuming she broke her lease early, and the landlord sued because of that? Or did the landlord sue for damages to the rental unit after you moved out and you want to hold her liable for her share?