Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I have a tenant in DC that they moved in their girlfriend

Customer Question

I have a tenant in Washington DC that they moved in their girlfriend and child without my consent and picked up two additional dog. The lease that was issued only allowed 2 tenants and two dogs, now I have two additional people and two addition dogs. My question can I go up on the rent? And I did an exterior of the property visit and they have dog poop all over the place.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

No you may not raise the rent without following specific procedures and in D.C. Tenants can object to raising rent with the court (the is actually an official form for that). You cannot raise rent without the tenant's consent during the term of a lease under any conditions. If the tenant is breaking the terms of the lease, you will need to evict the tenant and even then the tenant will have the opportunity to cure the defect before eviction. The tenant has 30 days to do this.

The landlord may evict a tenant for only one of ten specific statutory reasons:

1) Nonpayment of rent;

2) Violation of an obligation of tenancy, of which the tenant failed to correct after notice;

3) Tenant performed an illegal act within the rental unit;

4) Landlord seeks in good faith to occupy the rental unit for personal use and occupancy;

5) Landlord sells rental unit to a party who seeks in good faith to occupy the rental unit for personal use and occupancy;

6).Landlord seeks to renovate rental unit in a manner in which tenant cannot safely occupy;

7) Landlord seeks to demolish rental unit;

8) Landlord seeks to substantially rehabilitate rental unit;

9) Landlord seeks to discontinue rental unit for housing and occupancy; or

10) Landlord seeks to convert rental unit to a condominium or cooperative after securing governmental approval.

Eviction laws in D.C. favor the tenant and it can be hard to evict tenants. See below for D.C. statute:

§ 42–3505.01. Evictions.

(a) Except as provided in this section, no tenant shall be evicted from a rental unit, notwithstanding the expiration of the tenant's lease or rental agreement, so long as the tenant continues to pay the rent to which the housing provider is entitled for the rental unit. No tenant shall be evicted from a rental unit for any reason other than for nonpayment of rent unless the tenant has been served with a written notice to vacate which meets the requirements of this section. Notices to vacate for all reasons other than for nonpayment of rent shall be served upon both the tenant and the Rent Administrator. All notices to vacate shall contain a statement detailing the reasons for the eviction, and if the housing accommodation is required to be registered by this chapter, a statement that the housing accommodation is registered with the Rent Administrator.

(b) A housing provider may recover possession of a rental unit where the tenant is violating an obligation of tenancy and fails to correct the violation within 30 days after receiving from the housing provider a notice to correct the violation or vacate.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.