Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My lease expired at a mall with issues regarding a tenantes

Customer Question

My lease expired at a mall with issues regarding a tenantes that the landlord placed in front of our retail outlet. The tenant caused major disruption w our business. This was disclosed to landlord repeatedly. I withheld rent for the 2 months this caused issue after landlord repeatedly said they were relocating the retail cart(they didn't nothing)...after moving out landlord has dismissed and demanded balance 6k and threatened w legal action. 2 questions. Landlord executive/manager told an unrelated third party vendor that I was doing business with that I was kicked out and stiffed them...the vendor then changed terms and cost of project.
1.What is my recourse against landlord?
2. Is the landlord liable for effect on my business by there placement of retail cart that block all site lines to our business. The tenant literally would approach customers coming to our business (kiosk). Nothing was done by landlord after I sent video, photos and emails asking for assitance....nothing but promises they were going to take care of it.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

1.What is my recourse against landlord?

Response 1: You can sue the Landlord for tortious interference with a business relationship, for the damages the Landlord cause by disclosing your issues with the Landlord to the vendor. You would need an Attorney who handles business litigation and Landlord and Tenant issues to assist you with the matter.

Response 2: Maybe. If you can show the effect of the Tenant's business practices on your business, you may be able to sue the Landlord for damages you suffered. You would need an Attorney who handles business litigation and Landlord and Tenant issues to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com