Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

Utility billing / landlord just gave 4 months of back

Customer Question

Utility billing / landlord just gave 4 months of back utility bills for cable internet / threatens to shut off in 15 days... Lease says my responsibility , was never given terms to agree to in the set lease time frame. Is this legal? How many days can a landlord hold utilities? My cable was shut off twice in the 4 months and billing was never mentioned.
What are my rights? The laws on landlords?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your lease said that you are liable for the bills, you are liable for them. The MI law does not say anything about how long the landlord has to give you the bills, but that is only interpreted by the court to mean that the landlord is supposed to give you the bills as they are due (a reasonable time is what courts hold). Reasonable means he is supposed to give them to you in time to pay them so they are not delinquent. Since he has not done so, he is in breach of lease and you could sue him for breaching that lease and not giving you the bills in proper time.