Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

Is it the responsibility of the landlord to install Carbon

Customer Question

Is it the responsibility of the landlord to install Carbon Dioxide detectors in Lease homes (single Family dwelling) in the state of Texas
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I believe you mean Carbon Monoxide detection, not Carbon Dioxide. Yes, the landlord must provide such a a device per Tex. Hum. Res. Code Ann. § 42.060, but this is limited to the following: day-care centers, group day-care homes, and family homes.

Family home is not what you think, however. "Family home" means a home that provides regular care in the caretaker's own residence for not more than six children under 14 years of age, excluding children who are related to the caretaker, and that provides care after school hours for not more than six additional elementary school children, but the total number of children, including children who are related to the caretaker, does not exceed 12 at any given time. The term does not include a home that provides care exclusively for any number of children who are related to the caretaker.

As such, technically, a Carbon Monoxide device is not mandatory for leases unless they fall under the above.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!