MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I am having issues with the condo association of the

Customer Question

I am having issues with the condo association of the building that I live in (cook county, Illinois). We a renters in the building.
The hallway that the laundry room is in is very poorly light. It’s made even worse when the laundry room light is turned off.
My wife is legally blind. On several occasions she has actually walked into walls or doorways because of not being able to see well in the hallway.
When we asked the condo association to do something about the lighting down there, they have said that we are only renters and that they are not going to do anything for just one person.
Since we ask for this accommodation, it has actually gotten worse. When my wife is doing laundry she will tape up a note asking others to not turn the light off, and that she will turn it off when she is done with doing laundry. There is a person in the building (we actually believe it to be the association president who will turn off the lights anyways. She will actually reach under the note to get to the switch and do so).
Is this actually a violation of the ADA? and what might our remedies be?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This actually is a clear violation of the ADA and the Association is exposing themselves to a lawsuit by not only the unit owners, but also the tenants. You can sue the Association in Federal Court.

The remedies that may be awareded are different remedies depending on the discrimination that occurred. Some remedies are spelled out in the Act explicitly while others are established by case law interpreting the ADA and its sister law, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.