CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

We just moved in nov20 lease says tenant may terminate the

Customer Question

We just moved in nov20 lease says tenant may terminate the tenancy at the expiration of the initial term by giving written notice to the other at least 60 days prior to the expiration date of the initial term. My question can I terminate my lease if I give them written notice Jan 11.. That is 60 days from when I initially signed the lease??
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.

I assume that you took on a 12 month lease. If this is the case, you cannot terminate the lease until Nov. 20, 2016. You must give notice 60 days before the end of this lease (so Sept. 2016).

I hope that this helps clarify the "60 days prior to expiration of term" clause.

If you terminate the lease early (vacate before Nov. 20, 2016), the landlord can hold you liable for rent until the end of the lease term (Nov. 2016), or until a new tenant takes possession of the property (whichever occurs first). The landlord must make reasonable efforts to locate a new tenant.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It ok

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill