Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
18215332

Can my landlord prohibit me from putting up window and door

Customer Question

Can my landlord prohibit me from putting up window and door insulation so I can keep the draft controlled as much as possible and reduce my heating cost? I had double-sided tape attached to the metal frame flanges inside the sill, not on any wood. They made me remove all insulation and told me to keep the heat turned up higher or wear a coat.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

What does your lease say? Does it allow any changes to your apartment? If the lease does not allow this and the landlord does not want you to make any changes then you are prohibited from doing do. The landlord owns the property and is the ultimate decision maker when it comes to these types of changes. So yes your landlord can do this unless your lease provides otherwise.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What lease EVER says, 'tenant may make changes to the apartment'? Am I really making a considerable change by taping a piece of clear plastic to the inside metal window framework? To me, this is far less evasive or damaging than pounding holes in the walls to hang pictures. Your response is unsatisfactory !!
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Another expert here, and my Answer is a little different. If you are paying for the heat, then you have the right to take reasonable steps to control that expense. By reasonable, blocking drafts would be included as long as whatever you use is easily removed with no permanent damage to the window or frame. I would not use foam which is ugly and hardens like concrete. Taping something over the cracks is cosmetic, and only affects the interior look, which you have the right to control anyway, so it would be the same as hanging ugly drapes. It's your choice.

Hello. I have not Heard from you For a while. Do you have any follow-up questions? If not, I would appreciate it if you would enter a positive rating so that I will be compensated for assisting you. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.