MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I was rented an a[artment that the management KNEW WAS

Customer Question

hi , I was rented an a[artment that the management KNEW WAS INFESTED WITH ROACHES.
ACCORDING TO MY NEIGHBORS THEY INFORMED ME THAT THE LAST TENNENTS DESTROYED THE UNIT AND THAT THE MANAGENENT COMPANY LEFT THE UNIT LIKE THAT FOR MONTHS UNTIL I EXPRESSED INTEREST IN THE UNIT. THE NEIGHBORS INFORMED ME THAT THE ACTUALLY SAY THE UNIT AND THE INFESTATION OF THE ROACHES, ANTS AND OTHER BUGS. THE QUESTION IS, CAN I LEGALLY BREAK MY LEASE AND SUE TO GET ALL OF MY MONEY BACK AND ANY FUTURE MONIES SPENT ON MOVE OUT COST. I ALSO WANT TO KNOW ABOUT STRESS, ANXIETY AND MENTAL ANGUISH OVER THIS ALSO WHAT ABOUT THE HEALTH PROBLEMS ASSOCIATE BY THIS SUCH AS MENNINGITUS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIMR. I WILL PAY ANY COSTS FOR THIS INFORMATION, ROBERT SOBOLOFF
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes. You will be able to break the lease as this is what is known as a constructive eviction (especially if you have complained to the property management company/owner and they have done nothing to fix it). The only issue I see that hurts your case is that you actually moved into the unit despite it's condition. You should have tried to break the lease once you saw the condition the unit was in and not have moved in.

You will not be able to recover anxiety and mental anguish. However, any money spent on the move, rent, etc. would be recoverable.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.