LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

Can Alameda, CA impose rent control on landlords who are

Customer Question

Can Alameda, CA impose rent control on landlords who are renting a single family residence? I was told that California law exempts single family residences from rent control.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You are partially right. After 1996 rent control, as concerns rent increases, doesn't apply to single family homes. But eviction protections are still in place as though the rent control ordinances did apply. Let me explain.

Under a state law known as Costa-Hawkins, a tenant who rents a single family home after January 1, 1996 cannot be covered by the rent protection portion of any rent ordinance.

However, the tenant would still have eviction protection under the ordinance.

And if the tenant moved into the single family home before January 1, 1996, the tenant has rent protection and eviction protection.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have a month to month lease with the tenant, so can we choose not to renew the lease at the end of the month - giving the tenants 60 days notice at least?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

As you may not be aware, the Rules of JustAnswer specify that each customer ask one question in each question thread. These are new questions that you are asking-----you first asked whether rent control applies, and now you are asking about how to evict a tenant. For new questions, the customer is asked to open a new question thread. I do sincerely ***** ***** any inconvenience this might cause you.

You may ask for me personally by referring to me by name (Doug) in your new question and I will be able to assist you. As the questions that you are posting are new, I am required to ask you to please open up a new question thread for them. Thank you for your understanding.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,

Doug