Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

My tenant/roommate is stealing medication from me. Should I

Customer Question

my tenant/roommate is stealing medication from me. Should I make a police report then evict them. Unfortunately I do not have proof. I live in virginia
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can make a police report, but of course they cannot take action against your roommate without evidence directly showing that the roommate is taking the medication. However, if you do not have a written lease for a term with the tenant/roommate, you should evict them based on your suspicion and you should give them a written 30 day notice that you are terminating the lease and want them to leave. I would not say in there why and you do not need to give any reason as to why, just say you decided it is not working out if they ask you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am the owner, she is a tenant/roommate. We have a month to month rental agree agreement. After I make police report, is there anyway I can get her to move sooner than 30 days? Would the police check finger prints on the bottles of medications she stole from me.
Thank you for your reply.
It is up to the police to determine if there is a suitable surface on the bottles to fingerprint, sometimes there just is not. You have to give a 30 day written notice I am afraid, but you need to give the notice if you want her out.