barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I am aware of the Oregon law regarding tenant lease

Customer Question

Customer: I am aware of the Oregon law regarding tenant lease increases in rent. However, is it right for them to raise my rent by $116.00 per month? It was only $709.00 this last lease. Before that it was $699.00.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I live in a family complex of mixed apt sizes and originally chose this apt at a discount because it was less than ideal condition. It is a 2-bdrm that I chose fbecause I might need a part-time caregiver in the future. I am a senior widow on Social Security with a small savings. I have been commended for my care of my unit. Any ideas$
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Landlord-Tenant Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

However, is it right for them to raise my rent by $116.00 per month?

.

I assume that when you say you are aware of the law regarding rent increases, that you mean that you know that rent control is actually against the law in OR (OR Statutes 91.225).

.

If you are asking if it is morally right for them to do so, then the answer is no. But if you are asking if it is legally allowed for them to do so, then the answer is yes.

.

But I agree that just because you can do something that doesn't mean that you should..

.

So unfortunately your only recourse here is to try to enter into a longer term fixed lease contract so you are protected against these types of increases or to try and find a lower cost rental...

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks