Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My former landlord who was my step father at the time says

Customer Question

My former landlord who was my step father at the time says that he is going to take me to court because the apartment was damaged and smells like animal urine. We never signed any sort of lease contract and never paid any security deposit. It has been a year and half since I moved out and he is only trying to take me to court now. From what I have read under landlord and renter laws he has 30 days when we move out to give me something in writing that states what he wants me to pay for any damages or problems with the apartment of I am not liable. if he takes me to court does he have a case?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did you have a pet which urinated inside your rented home?

2. Has the place been rented out to anyone else since you moved out? Or has anyone lived there?

3. Did you have the landlord do a walk-through before you relocated?

Thanks in advance,

Doug