How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask barristerinky Your Own Question
barristerinky, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 36642
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
barristerinky is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend and I rented a house with her as the primary

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I rented a house with her as the primary and myself as the seconder. We signed a lease for 12 mos. The rental company said if I paid the money to break the lease they would find someone to rent it. Which I have paid.
Both of us are responsible for the monthly rental payment she is not paying her half. , which I have to pay until they rent the house. What is my recourse of action I have in getting her to pay her half?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


If you both signed the lease, then you are both responsible for the entire rent to the landlord under the legal doctrine of "joint and several liability". So you are liable for the entire rent and she is responsible for the entire rent.


If you had a private agreement between the two of you to split the rent, then you can sue her for half the rental payment in small claims court if you both agreed to break the lease. Then you can garnish her wages, seize any bank accounts, and levy on personal property to collect on your judgment..





Related Landlord-Tenant Questions