Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My Son and s roommate received an 10 day termination of

Customer Question

my Son and his roommate received an 10 day termination of lease notice from their apartment, that I was the co-signer. The notice came because my son and a guest was on the balcony of their apartment with a airsoft gun and someone saw it and thought it was an real gun. So they contacted the police. When the police arrived, they assessed the situation and determine and stated that it was a misunderstanding, told them to put it away and no worries, just be careful. Didn't issue a ticket or take the weapon. 3 days later papers were given to a person who was visiting their apartment notifying them that they had 10 days to vacant the premises. When I contacted the person, asking them why they were being evicted, the leasing manager stated it was because of the incident and that they were determined to be a danger to the community. She told them that as long as they vacated the premises in 10days that they wouldn't be charge for the next months rent. They vacanted the premises and returned the keys, at which time they were not provided with anything further, nor where they asked for a forwarding address. as the co-signer on the lease, they have all of my information, along with a my address. Today I had a collection agency/ or rent recovery agency to contact my son stating that we owes $946.00 for carpet cleaning, and some other small items. They stated that a notification had been provided to us with 7 days for us to dispute it from the time of receiving the notification that we never received. I contacted the apartment accountant letting them know that I wanted to dispute these charges, she told me that it was too late and they sent it to the best known address that was provided... which was the apartment that they knew they no longer were living in. They never once sent me anything, or notified me of anything. and they still had officially notified me until I spoke with the collection agency via my son today. I also had sent them a note, certified during the termination notice period, letting them know that the boys were vacating the apartment because they feared their safety, due to them feeling as if they were being discriminated against because of their age and race, as prior to the Airsoft gun incident they never had one warning or complaint against them. and they were only in the apartment for 2.5. The carpet was also something that the boys had put in writing notifying them via their process that upon moving in that it was disgusting, damaged and stained and needed to be cleaned, which they never did. and now they are charging them/us $645.00 to clean the carpet. All of this I think is unfair and unjust and discriminatory. Do we have a case? and what kind of attorney should we contact? Or should we just pay it an move on? This is an apartment complex in Rolling Meadows Illinois.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you.

Was there a security deposit placed with the property when they moved it? Did your son and his roommate do a mail forwarding order with the post office?

Does your son have a copy of the move-in inspection indicating the condition of the carpet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a surety bond that was paid and the adjusted rent that was due at the time of move in. No he doesn't have a copy of the move in slip that he completed, stating that the carpet and several other things needed to be fixed. I know that this probably doesn't help, but I saw it, as I filled it out and then I know he turned it into the front office, as they had to turn it in in order to get their mailbox key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Why was the rent adjusted when he moved in? With respect to the mail forwarding order, was there one in place?

I am unable to place a phone call to you since lawyers are covered by professional ethical rules and many states do not allow information to be given over the phone unless there is an attorney-client relationship which we do not have. I'd, however, be happy to continue assisting you via this forum.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know whether you still need additional information.