RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Can I get my ex-girlfriend off our apartment lease with

Customer Question

Can I get my ex-girlfriend off our apartment lease with restraining order?:
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Absent a provision in the lease that allows this, that's very unlikely. If you are both on the lease, the landlord can look to either one of you for payment, and most landlords, in my experience, would be reluctant to remove one person from the lease because if you stop paying, it means they can no longer pursue your girlfriend for the debt owed. While many states have laws that allow a victim of domestic abuse to break their lease early without penalty, they don't provide for removal from the lease for the person named in the restraining order. In other words, the RO will keep your girlfriend out of the apartment, but most likely won't get her off the lease. That said, if it's not provided for in your lease agreement, there's no harm in discussing it with your landlord and seeing what they say. You may be able to come to an agreement if you can show them the court order.

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating, as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated, even if you have already left a deposit. Thank you.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions or need no additional information regarding this matter, please remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for their time and information, even though you may have already left a deposit. It costs you nothing extra. Thank you.