barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My lease expires on March 1 2015 and I was verbally informed

Customer Question

Customer: My lease expires on March 1 2015 and I was verbally informed today that I will not be renewed because my rent payments have been late since I moved in. I agree on that but when I moved in 2 years ago in the middle of the month the property manager told me it was okay to pay in the middle of the month as long as the rent was in by the 30th each month when she closed her book. she left the job a year ago and the new manager doesn't quite agree so I guess I have no recourse. I owe no backrent and Ive been a stellar tenant.but I did have unemployment status for a few months cause my hotel shut down for renovation but I always paid within each month and myhusband was in the hospital for a month with no pay status but I always paid the rent within the month due this is an apartment building with 150 apartments and the rent is pretty steep 2500 permonth ***** ***** Macdonald
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Im not sure if I have any rights in the matter
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Landlord-Tenant Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Unfortunately, if you are under a fixed term lease contract, then when it expires, so do your rights to remain on the property if the landlord won't renew. That is the purpose of a fixed term lease...to ensure that both parties have legal rights under the contract for the specified term of the contract.

.

So if the landlord won't agree to renew or let you go month to month, then you would have to be ready to vacate when it expires or the landlord can immediately file an eviction action in the local courts which would seriously harm your odds of renting elsewhere once other landlords see an eviction action..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks